Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary School’s Sports Funding page.
What is the Sports Premium?
The Government is providing funding of £150 million per annum for academic years 2013/14 and 2014/15 to provide new, substantial primary school sport funding’. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of Funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs
To ensure that the improvements we made last year are sustained and PE and sport continues to improve we have continued to employ our specialist sports teacher. Our aims for the coming year are:
- Improve communication between the children in all forms of sport.
- Develop Outdoor and Adventurous activities with staff.
- Encourage the use of personal plans so children are extending their personal best.
- Further develop Intra-school competitions.
- Develop a middle ability competition pathway.
We recieved £16,500 sports premium funding this year. This is being used to employ a specialist PE teacher, for transport to competitions, for extra equipment and to employ specialist sports coaches to work with specific classes.
Click here for our Sport Premium Strategy 2018-2019
In our present Y6 Cohort 100% of the children can swim at least 25 metres and use a range of strokes effectively.